We are so excited to be holding another design contest! We are looking for an awesome design and we want YOU to be the one who designs it! The contest will begin April 9, 2018 and close April 30, 2018.
- Create your design
- Post your design to Instagram in a new post
- Tag @golden.coil and use the hashtag #GCxDESIGN18
The top ten designs will go to a vote on our Instagram feed. Votes will be gathered from our Instagram followers only - our account will go private the day of voting to ensure only people following the account may vote. The design with the most votes will be printed as one of our 2018-2019 covers.
- $500 advance
- A commission on every planner sold with your designed cover
- 5 planners or notebooks with your design
- A maximum of two entries per person may be submitted
- Submissions must be of new work and in a new Instagram post - please do not tag old design posts
- Designs must comply with design specifications
- Golden Coil trademarks on front and back covers must remain in place
- Original design must be at least 9 x 12
- No additional gold foiling on front or back covers
- We have found that people respond to designs best when they are photoshopped onto one of our planners. We have provided some templates in our Dropbox folder for you to use.
- When creating your deisgn, think of what kind of design you would want to be on the planner you purchase
This week we have partnered with the AMAZING Carlene Thomas RDN of Healthfully Ever After for our What's For Dinner Series! Join us as we make some of the most delicious (and healthy) food that we have ever seen!
M O N D A Y
T U E S D A Y
W E D N E S D A Y
T H U R S D A Y
F R I D A Y
S A T U R D A Y
W H I T E B E A N K A L E P A P P A R D E L L E P A S T A
Join us this week as we cook some of our family favorites! If you like food that is delicious, comforting, and filling, these meals are for you! Each recipe has family sized portions - a result of having a 9 person family - but, feel free to make an adjustments or additions for your own family! We'd love to see your dinners if you choose to cook with us this week - tag us by using the hashtag #GCxWHATSFORDINNER.
Also, don't miss out on the printable grocery list at the bottom of the post!
M O N D A Y
B R O C C O L I V E G G I E P A S T A
1 16 oz. Bag Rotelli Pasta
1 16 oz. Bag Penne Pasta
1 16 oz. Bag Large Shells Pasta
1 Head Broccoli in Florets
1/2 Head Cauliflower in Florets
8 Large Carrots, peeled and cut in 1/2" slices
Mix all bags of pasta. Use 1/2 the pasta and cook as directed. Steam all the vegetables until done. Mix pasta and veggies and top with butter.
T U E S D A Y
B A J A Q U E S A D I L L A S
1/2 tsp. Butter
Large Flour Tortillas
2 Chicken Breasts, cooked and shredded
1 Can Corn
1 Can Black Beans
1 Bottle BBQ Sauce
Combine chicken, corn, beans, and BBQ sauce (just enough sauce to cover ingredients). Place tortilla in large frying pan that has been greased with butter. Cover half of the tortilla with cheese and sauce mixture. Fold the other half over the top. Let cook until golden brown on one side and turn over. Cook second side. Remove from pan and top with sour cream.
W E D N E S D A Y
C R E A M O F B R O C C O L I S O U P
1 Qt. Half and Half
1 Small Bunch of Broccoli
4 Medium Potatoes
3-4 tsp. Chicken Bouillon
1/2 C. Butter
1/2 C. Flour
Salt and Pepper
Chop vegetables-grate carrot. Add water to cover vegetables and add bouillon. Simmer until vegetables are tender. Melt butter and flour and add half and half. Cook and stir constantly. Add cream mixture to undrained vegetables. Add salt and pepper to taste.
T H U R S D A Y
C H I C K E N E N C H I L A D A S
6 Chicken Breasts, cooked and shredded
12 Flour Tortillas
1 Tbsp. Butter
3/4 C. Onion
1 4-oz Can Chopped Green Chiles
1/3 C. Flour
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Cumin
2 Tbsp. Butter
2 1/2 C. Chicken Broth
1 C. Sour Cream
2 C. Grated Jack Cheese
Saute butter, onion, and chiles. Make a roux with the flour, salt, cumin and butter. Gradually add broth. Add white sauce to onion and chile mixture. Stir in sour cream and 1 cup of cheese. Stir enough sauce into chicken to moisten. Fill the tortillas with chicken mixture then place them seam side down into 9 x 13 pan. Pour remaining sauce and cheese on top and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
F R I D A Y
P I O N E E R B E A N S O U P
2 C. Dry Bean Mix (split peas, kidney, pinto, and small white) - Soak overnight for best results
7 C. Water
1 Ham Hock
1 Clove Garlic, minced
1 Large Onion, chopped
1 tsp. Chili Powder
1 tsp. Salt
16 oz. Can of Diced tomatoes
2 Carrots, chopped
1 Celery Rib, chopped
Place all ingredients in a slow cooker, cover and cook on high for 7 hours or until beans are tender. Remove meat from ham hock and return the meat to the soup.
S A T U R D A Y
S P A G H E T T I C A R B O N A R A
8 oz. Spaghetti
2 Large Eggs
3/4 C. Grated Parmesan Cheese
4 Slices Bacon, diced
4 Cloves Garlic, minced
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 Tbsp. Fresh Parsley, chopped (optional)
In a large pot of boiling water, cook pasta according to package directions; reserve 1/2 cup water and drain pasta well. In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and Parmesan; set aside. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add bacon and cook until brown and crispy, about 6-8 minutes; reserve excess fat. Stir in garlic until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in pasta and egg mixture and gently toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add reserved pasta water, one tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency is reached. Serve immediately, garnished with parsley if desired.
S U N D A Y
M E X I C A N M E A T M I X C H I M I C H A N G A S
5 lb. Beef Roast, cooked and shredded
1 4 oz. Can Chopped Green Chiles
2 7 oz. Can Green Chile Salsa
1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
4 Tbsp. Flour
4 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Cumin
Saute onion and green chiles. Add salsa, garlic powder, flour, salt, and cumin. Stir in reserved meat juices and meat. Cook until thickened.
6 Flour Tortillas
In a frying pan, pour oil and allow to get hot. Place 1/4 C. of meat mix on flour tortilla and roll up burrito style. Use a toothpick to secure end if needed. Place burrito in hot oil and allow to fry until golden and crispy Place on towel to drain grease. Top with cheese, salsa, guacamole and sour cream.
G R O C E R I E S
HAPPY POPCORN DAY!
To celebrate, we're sharing our mother's caramel popcorn recipe:
2 C. Brown Sugar
1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 C. Light Corn Syrup
½ C. Butter
6 Bags Popcorn
Boil first four ingredients for 3-5 minutes. Pour upon cooked popcorn.
If you are feeling adventurous, add crasins, cashews, almonds, or pecans!
Color coding by activity is one of the simplest ways to color code, as it takes little thought to categorize your life into separate areas such as home, school, church, friends, work ... etc. However, it is one of our favorite ways to organize our planners because it makes finding a certain task so easy! You're trying to remember when your dentist appointment is? Easy! You'll only have to look at one color to find it.
Color coding by importance takes more effort than other color coding techniques because you have to decide what in your schedule matters most, what is just for fun, and what has little importance. This technique is very helpful because you may choose to tackle your schedule or to-do list beginning with what matters most. This will ensure that, no matter how much time you have, you will accomplish the tasks that are your highest priority. We suggest coloring the most important tasks in red as it evokes a sense of urgency in us.
3. Family Member
We recommend color coding by family member if you and your family (no matter the family size) have busy schedules. With this tactic, you can see where each family member is and what they should be doing at a quick glance. Although your schedule may be busy, this technique may help you be less confused when putting it all on paper!
If you are selective about the way you like to tackle your to-do list, color coding by difficulty might be for you. This way, you may choose what you accomplish according to the way you're feeling. If you're having a hard day, focus on the easy stuff! Or, if you're feeling like you can take on the world, go head to head with the big to do item that has been looming over you. It's all up to you!
5. For Fun
Of course, the prettiest way to color code your planner is for fun! We've come up with a list of some fun ways to add color to your planner each week.
- Rainbow: Monday, red; Tuesday, orange; Wednesday, yellow; Thursday, green; Friday, blue; Saturday, indigo; Sunday, violet
- Monochrome: Choose your favorite color and use different shades of that color throughout the week
- Complimentary: Alternate days of the week using complimentary colors
Happy almost New Years! To get a jump start on your New Years planning we have provided some printables below! We hope you enjoy getting ready for 2018!
Did you order a customizable planner or notebook as a gift this Christmas? To hold the recipient over until it arrives, here's a printable put under the tree (or in a stocking)!
1. The Towel: This lightweight microfiber towel complements any workout from spinning to yoga to running to, well, anything!
2. Leather Carrier: Although this leather carrier is meant for carrying Gathre's bonded leather mats, we totally use it for carrying our yoga mats as well.
3. Bag: This roomy, zip-up bag folds flat and is lightweight- AKA it is perfect for carting around gym supplies.
4. Hydroflask: To help you stay hydrated during your workout.
5. Golden Coil Fitness/Meal Plans: These planning pages can be added to planners or notebooks, and are the best way to help you stay on track to achieve your goals.
6. Headband/Ear Warmer: Because it's winter time, this ear warmer/headband is sure to come in handy!
We've pulled together some of our favorite gifts for the new moms/moms to be in our lives!
1. Promptly Journals: These are seriously amazing journals that help you document your baby, from pregnancy (or adoption) through their 18th birthday. Each section of the journal has different prompts to answer so you don't get blank page fright!
2. Nose Frida: Ever have a hard time getting those stubborn boogies out of your baby's nose? Look no further- the Nose Frida is a quick and easy solution to eliminate them in no time!
3. Mama Bird T-Shirt: We love this Mama Bird t-shirt from The Bee and the Fox. They have a great selection of momma-worthy t-shirts to make you feel like the bomb for being a mom!
4. Golden Coil Planner/Notebook: Gift a Golden Coil planner or notebook so your new mom friend can fill its pages with baby charts to track their baby's diapers, feedings, and naps!
5. Solly Baby Wrap: The Solly Baby is a family favorite around here when it comes to babywearing. We love being able to wrap our babies close to us - for productivity and for snuggles!
6. Made By Mary Necklace: We love the sentimental nature of these necklaces. They are a beautiful, simple, and subtle way to keep memories close to our hearts.
We are suckers for a good holiday gift guide. Here is our 2017 gift guide for the foodie.
1. Heirloom Popcorn Gift Set: Because who doesn't love an evening in with a delicious snack?
2. Perasima Tableware: This dish set has us wanting to throw all the parties we can think of, just so we can have an excuse to use it!
3. Golden Coil Planner or Notebook: One of our favorite parts of our planners and notebooks is being able to add meal plans weekly, monthly, or at the start or end of the planner. You can also add Kitchen Conversions and Recipes! Everyone who likes to plan meals would love it.
4. Just Add Water Tumbler: A pretty way to get 8 glasses a day.
6. Lena Dish Towel: We love the pop of color that this towel brings to the kitchen. Also, the tassels!
TIPS FOR CUSTOMIZING YOUR PLANNER/NOTEBOOK
1. Start your planner beginning January 2018
Due to our high volume of orders our first batch of planners/notebooks will take some extra time to be printed and shipped to you. Typically for orders within the USA, the time it takes from when an order placed to when the shipment received is 8-10 days.
2. Know that you can customize your planner/notebook up to 242 pages
We are so excited to have increased our page count from 172 pages to 242 pages for our planners and notebooks! We wanted to be able to offer you more pages to a) create longer planners, and/or b) include lots of extra pages. Please note: If you are a DAILY planner, our page count can facilitate up to a 10-month, daily planner. Unfortunately, we cannot create a full year daily planner. In order to keep our paper at the highest quality, this was an impossibility. If you love to plan in a daily layout, we suggest creating a 6-month planner and including lots of extra pages!
3. Be sure to preview your planner/notebook
Before adding your customized planner or notebook to your cart you will have an opportunity to see a preview of what you planner will look like when it is printed. Please review this carefully! Your planner will print as it is shown in the preview. Any orders that claim to be inaccurate will be compared to this preview before a return will be accepted.
IF YOU FIND YOUR PAGE COUNT IN THE RED (TOO MANY PAGES)
- Double check the frequency and location of your extra pages: There is a drop down menu next to the add button on each template where you can choose if you want your extra pages to be weekly, monthly, start of planner, or end of planner. Changing this frequency will help you free up some pages if you need to.
- Evaluate the length of your planner: If you find that you want to include a bunch of extra pages but you don't have enough space in your planner, you may want to consider shortening the length of your planner. Instead of having planning pages for a full year, consider shortening it to a 6-month or 9-month planner (or however long you want).
HOW TO CUSTOMIZE A PLANNER
HOW TO: IMPORT CONTACTS (FORM FILL AND CSV)
HOW TO: UPLOAD EVENTS FROM GOOGLE CALENDAR
HOW TO: UPLOAD EVENTS FROM APPLE CALENDAR
Hey there! We are getting so close to being ready for you to customize your very own planner or notebook! We wanted to share with you one of our weekly templates that can used in your planner. This template was created for you to have plenty of white space in your planning. Don't worry though! If white space isn't your thing, we have plenty of options for you to keep track of all the things!
Here is a free digital download for you to use! This one is intentionally left blank for you to fill in the months and the days! Our planners are a smaller size. These downloads have been formatted for letter size paper. Fill out the form below, and you will be directed to your download!
Despite our finest expectations, it's oftentimes difficult to bite the bullet and get stuff done. We find ourselves too busy, too distracted, or too nervous to accomplish the things we really want to do; whether it is de-junking the craft closet, having a hard conversation, completing (or starting) a difficult project, or giving the kids a bath. We all have tasks we want to do, but also, would give anything not to do. When these tasks come along, follow our tips/tricks to procrastinate less and do more. You won't regret it.
SET SPECIFIC GOALS
The first step to overcoming procrastination is to choose what you want to accomplish. We suggest setting the goal to accomplish your most important task first. This task is usually the one that is most daunting to complete as it is usually difficult, time consuming, and a challenge. However, if you succeed, the accomplishment can give you a massive boost in confidence and productivity for the rest of your day!
IDENTIFY YOUR STALLING TECHNIQUES
We all have tactics, known or unknown, that keep us from accomplishing our to-dos. Some common stalling techniques include looking at our phones (again), checking our emails (again), surfing the web (again), eating a snack (again), calling a friend (again) ... etc. Discover your stalling techniques by completing a simply test: try to accomplish something that you don't want to do, and make note of all the random things that you do to keep yourself from accomplishing the task. Once you discover what keeps you from achieving, you'll be better able to navigate around it.
GIVE YOURSELF INCENTIVE
Just like promising cookies to your kids if they eat their veggies encourages positive behavior, so does promising 'cookies' to yourself if you complete your pre-determined goal. Giving ourselves incentive to accomplish a task makes us more determined to achieve and less susceptible to procrastination. It works like this: choose the thing that you would do if you didn't have to accomplish your task (ie. taking a long bath, baking a treat, watching your favorite show), and tell yourself that you can't do it until you've completed your to-do. Now, this only works if you hold yourself to it. If you say, 'I'll do my big scary to-do after I watch one episode of This Is Us', you're already procrastinating. Be strong and hold yourself to it! With that said, if you already know that you're a total pushover, designate someone else to stand guard over your incentive 'treat' and to only let you have it after you've completed your task. Not so surprisingly, kids are great at this. :)
RID YOURSELF OF DISTRACTIONS
We understand that we can't possibly get rid of all distractions; however, we can do our best! Here are some ideas of how we can lessen the distractions while we work!
- Put your phone away, but set it to loud so you can hear it ring if someone calls you
- Use a single window when working on your computer so you aren't tempted to surf the web
- Keep the tv off while working; watching while working just makes the work take longer
This is what it all comes down to. Though it may not seem so simple, it is. Just decide to do it, then do it! There is nothing quite like the satisfaction that comes from crossing a stressful item off of your to-do list. ❤️
As a caveat to all of this, remember, if it doesn't work out today, there is always tomorrow. There are more important things in our lives than work, special chores, and emails. Take time for the important things and when you have extra time, do the extra stuff.